"I like my tea strong, like my mother" - My Favourite Quotes

Celebrate the beauty of language with me:

"Reality is only a term based on values and well worn principles, whereas the dream goes on forever" - a handwritten note by Ian Curtis, 1979

"Have fun, just promise me you won't catch anything?" - a very drunk dad to a very drunk friend at my 18th birthday party

"The twilight hour, is also, like the water, both tame and savage. The French have an expression for this time of day - 'entre chien et loup' (between the dog and the wolf)" - Joel Meyerowitz

"What is 'sass'? Can you buy it in a packet?" - my manager at work, after receiving what we thought to be compliments about her sassy attitude

"You'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thinking" - Thom Yorke

"Don't tarnish me with that cunt-brush!" - a very drunk cousin to his very drunk brother, again at my 18th birthday party

"Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder" - Rumi

"I admit, I am an arse-licker" - a Sociology classmate at college

"The written word is an attempt at completeness when there is no one impatiently awaiting you in a dimly lit bedroom - awaiting your tales of the day, as the healing hands of someone who knew turn to you and touch you, and you lose yourself so completely in another that you are momentarily delivered from yourself" - Morrissey, Autobiography

"I can cope with most things, Rhiannon, but taking the last teacake just about crosses the line" - my perpetually sarcastic father

"I am a lover of truth, a worshiper of freedom, a celebrant at the altar of language and purity and tolerance" - Stephen Fry

"I never go out with people smarter than me, so they don't pick up on my bad grammar" - my sister Fran

"I was born good but had grown progressively worse every year" - Scout Finch in Harper Lee's classic To Kill a Mockingbird

"I don't need people to tell me they like me, because I know I'm oreyt" - my dad, again

"I'm not okay and you're not okay, and there's a drug for that... dysfunction makes us interesting" - 'My Dysfunctions'

Popular Posts